Age Concern Tyneside South is based at 29 Beach Road which was previously known as 1 Wellington Terrace. It was the first building to be built on the street. The building was built approximately in the 1820’s and has a listed status.
About the Building
The property occupies a corner site at the junction of Anderson Street and Beach Road, with frontages of 158ft and 54ft respectively to those roads, which comprises of large double fronted, Georgian style house of brick construction with Westmorland slate roof, stone eaves, gutters and metal downspout. The chimney stacks are of brick with stone coping and there is a lead roof to the bay window. The property has a garden at the front and rear.
A new extension was added in 2011 and the building is currently used as offices, has a cafe, gym and computer room.
Before 1 Wellington Terrace was built
The land was owned by Rev Ogle and Sir Charles Grey.
An appointment was made between the Right Honourable Charles Earl Grey Viscount Howick ofthe first part, the Reverend John Saville Ogle of the second part, Thomas Forsyth of the third part and James Wardle Roxby of the fourth part regarding the land. (Source: Schedule of Deeds and Writings dated 1st October 1881)
For a transcript of the abstract of title 1839 click here.
Below is a map of South Shields before most of the buildings were constructed. Marked in red is roughly the area where 1 Wellington Terrace was built.
The map below shows 1 Wellington Terrace (marked in red) and how the streets have developed.
Building in 1950
On the Ground Floor
Entrance lobby with glazed partition and inner door leading to a spacious entrance hall, back hall and staircase. opening off the rear part of the hall is a WC with a wash hand basin.
Front room x 2 with 18ft x 16ft fitted with modern pattern, tiled fireplace and hearth, plaster walls and ceiling and plaster cornice.
Rear room 15ft x 18ft, adapted as a bathroom.
A secondary or maids staircase opens off the above room.
On the first floor
Front bedroom 15ft x 16ft with plaster walls and ceiling and tiled and metal fireplace.
Front bedroom 14ft x 11ft no fireplace fitted
Front bedroom 15ft x 18ft with modern, tiled fireplace and hearth and two cupboards
Bathroom 10ft x 15ft with part tiled walls to the bath, and fitted with metal bath and wash hand basin, both ewith hot and cold water supplies, also Housemaids sink. WC and lobby opening off the landing, with part cladded walls.
Room 8ft x 15 ft with tiled fireplace and hearth and cupboard.
Housemaids pantry 12 ftx5ft with shelving.
On 2nd Floor
3 Attic store rooms with T-fall ceiling
Kitchen with part tiles walls and fitted with sink, 2 benches, improved hotspur range. Concrete floor.
Kitchen 16ft x 16ft with concrete floor and fitted with sink, 2 benches and part tiled back.
Front cellar 16ftx 16ft, with stone floor used as a store. A range of larders, coke house and store rooms.
In the rear garden on the East side is an old brick slated coach house 16ft x16ft with 2 wooden doors, small corner fireplace and open rafter ceiling and adjoining this building is a brick air raid shelter. On the North West corner of the site, with access to the back street are two recently erected brick garages with pitched tiled roofs, concrete floors and wooden entrance doors. it is understood that these 2 garages were erected on a cost of works payment from the war damage commission.