Deans Isolation Hospital (1883 – c.1948)

The Deans Isolation Hospital was founded in 1883 with 57 beds and is recorded in Burdetts Hospitals and Charities 1929 as being under the management of South Shields County Borough for the treatment of infectious diseases, other than smallpox. After 1948 it specialised in the treatment of tuberculosis. Its function was subsequently changed in about 1967 to the treatment of chronic illness