With the help of the local community we are researching the historical background of our building (29 Beach Road, previously 1 Wellington Terrace) including the people who have lived and worked there. Through involvement in this project local people will be encouraged to learn new skills and enhance skills they already have to be able to research their local history and social history.
We are also aiming to collect and capture photos and memories of South Tyneside to create a permanent resource for future generations.
- For an overview of the buildings owners visit the timeline
- Take a look at the first owner of the building and their family here.
- Take a look at the second family who lived in the building here.
- Details about the building can be found here.
- For details about how to get involved click here.
In the second year of our projects we are going to look at how public health has changed in South Shields since 1900. We will also be looking at some of the main employers in South Shields including Wrights Biscuits, Mary Harris factory and John Collier. If you are interested in helping with the research, please get in touch. Call Andrea on 0191 456 6903.
Header Photo : Freddie Mudditt, Fietscher Fotos